February 22, 2008

What I like in my laptop.. A feedback...

So, after using laptop for two weeks, here is the feedback..

What I like in my laptop...

  • Keyboard : My laptop keyboard is really awesome.. I was wrong in thinking I cant get that much speed on laptop keyboard, infact, my speed on laptop keyboard is even more than that of desktop (due to flatness of keyboard and very shallow key depth-ness).. I love typing on laptop keyboard..
  • Sound Quality : Dell Inspiron 1525 has got EXCELLENT speakers (in-built), its even better than my desktop speakers.. (I selected powerless USB laptop speakers for my desktop but its not as good when it comes to quality..)
    • I have also got wireless (blue-tooth) headset along with laptop which, I have not used much (not got chance yet!) but it also looks good.
  • Speed : I really did not expect this much speed on laptop.. its blazingly fast.. I love working on laptop for processor intensive tasks (like compiling a huge project of loading it in VS2008).. Happy
  • On board Media Player control : I really needed this on my desktop TVSE keyboard.. listening to music and clicking on pause or mute button on winamp or media player at that time (those small small buttons, aah!!) is really difficult.. but on my laptop, I just touch the pause/mute button just above keyboard and it glows nice blue LED and music is already stopped..!!! I love that feature..
  • Screen brightness control : Fn + Up/Down key increases/decreases the brightness of my laptop display (which also matters a lot in battery power it consumes), I love this one click feature to increase/decrease the brightness, I dont like glowing screen all the times (except I am watching the movies)
  • Battery life : When I decided 9-cell battery, few people gave advice 'Do you really need it?' and now, when I see the battery life of my laptop with 9-cell battery (appx. 6 hours, isnt that amazing? I can fly to Jammu from bangalore and come back still would have battery left for checking emails without starving for socket!!) To those friends, Yeah, I was looking for 9-cell battery.
  • Webcam - Face Tracking : I love this, very creative feature..

What I dont like,

  • Operating TouchPad : Though, I am getting used to this animal, I still dont like it very much.. I have other things to do with my fingers, afterall.. Winking
    • I am going to solve this problem by getting a Microsoft Wireless mouse pretty soon.
  • Weight : My laptop is not light-weight (may be because I have put in many action movies and complex project source.. just kidding.. Tongue) I wanted larger laptop screen, so, that may have contributed towards weight..
  • Dell Systems (not scalable/portable) : I have this software complaint for Dell, they gave Media Direct(tm) feature [a dedicated partition for that] and only one data partition (160 GB whooping partition) which I hated. So, without having idea of potential problem, I just went ahead and broke the partitions into two which damaged the media direct partition and I am no more able to use Media Direct feature!! For those, who dont know what is Media Direct, its functionality to enable you watch movies (DVD and VCD I guess) without booting the operating system. Media direct is a very small scaled operating system in itself which can read the DVD/CD format and render the frames on screen (something like DVD player) and media direct boots instantly (just a special button above keyboard and you're watching the DVD).
    • Talking to Dell Representative on this teaches me that if I had to create partition, I had to create that from Media Direct DVD itself, because their ROM are designed to load media direct first.. Bad design I would say.

As of now, above are the points I could recollect regarding feedback, will add more if come across..

Overall, I am a very happy Dell user as of now, and love my laptop..

BTW, my home machine somehow got the knowledge that I got laptop and may be it thought (dont call me crazy, how can a machine think.. Ask Dr. Michio Kaku) I no more need himself, and my dekstop monitor stopped working (it shows me ghosty black blurred image of output display without any colors..) so, yet another LG dissatisfied user.. I need to get it repaired.. I still cant live without my desktop (at least I have to transfer the data, damn it!).

Stay tuned.. Wave