- 1997 â€“ IE 4.0 introduces ability to modify the UI via the DOM and client-side script
- 1998, 2000, and 2004 â€“ W3C releases or updates standards on the DOM
- 1999 â€“ Internet Explorer includes XMLHttpRequest
- 2002 â€“ First production Firefox release
- 2004 â€“ Safari 1.2 released with XMLHttpRequest support.
- 2004 â€“ Google Maps, GMail, and other popular Web apps demonstrate great UI design with AJAX
- 2005 â€“ Opera 8 released with XMLHttpRequest support
- 2005 â€“ Adaptive Path coins the term AJAX and makes it popular
Sources: Wikipedia, Adaptive Path, MSDN
Want more? Read: Microsoft invented Ajax: Let's give credit where it's due and a certain Wikipedia entry.
Thanks Scott Isaacs, Microsoft Windows Live Architect, for your technical contributions to the world! (Click here to read Scottâ€™s blog!)